Wall art is a great way to brighten up a room, and you don’t have to break the bank either! This tutorial will show you how you can create a beautiful piece of art.
What you’ll need:
- Hole punch (to make 1.5cm-2cm confetti pieces)
- Paint cards (free from paint shops, hardware stores etc.)
- Canvas (size of your choice)
- Paint (I used white for the background, gold for the text)
- Paint brush
How to make it:
- Type out the quote in your favourite font. If you want more variety, try dafont.com for a bunch of free fonts. Print out the quote on normal paper. Put some tracing paper on top of the paper, and trace the outline, pressing firmly.
Alternatively, if you don’t have access to a computer, put some tracing paper up to the screen, and gently trace the words. I cannot stress the word gentle enough for this part!
- Next, flip the tracing paper over and firmly trace the outline around the words (it’ll be backwards as you trace).
- Next you’ll need to paint your canvas. I went with white, and did two coats.
Position the tracing paper over the the canvas, this time have the text facing up. Trace the outline of the text, careful not to press too hard on the canvas. You should have the outline transfer on to the canvas. Go back over the lines gently to make them a little darker so they’re easy to see.I suggest tracing softly a few times, rather than once firmly to avoid damaging the canvas.
- Take the paint for the text, and go over the pencil marks with the paint. You may have to do this a few times, depending on how dark you made the text. Now fill in the paint outline, again you may need a few coats to get the right colour.
- While you’re waiting for the paint to dry, punch out little circles from the paint cards with the hole punch. I suggest punching out around 20-30 of them.
- Once the paint has dried completely, take your homemade confetti, and place (or toss) it around the words on the canvas. Make sure you’re happy with the layout and amount of confetti on the page before you start gluing.
- Don’t forget the edges of your canvas – it can look a little bare otherwise! You can cut some of the confetti pieces in half for the edges of the canvas.
- Start gluing down each piece one by one – working from one side of the canvas to the other. Leave the canvas to dry completely overnight.
That’s it! This makes such a nice addition to any home, and makes for a great handmade gift for a friend or family member.